Victoria corset project
Here's a corset I made recently when testing out a few components on site, not least the recently released Victoria mid bust corset pattern. I've adapted the pattern slightly by changing the shape of the top line slightly, and adding some suspenders. I re-drew the bottom line of the corset so that at each point where I wanted a suspender, the line flowed nicely into the elastic ends. That's all I did, so it was pretty easy peasy.
It's a single layer corset - the boning channels are made from scraps of the same coutil (offcuts from cutting out the pattern!). These are cut into 2.5cm strips and then run through the Prym bias binding maker to make boning channels. I cut the coutil on the straight grain as this is best for scrap use and for stronger boning channels, however if you had a particularly deep curve over the hip (using another pattern perhaps) then you may want to use a bias grain for your self made bone channels.
With regard to sizing of the Sew Curvy patterns, go with the waist size first - it is easier to adjust the top (bust) and bottom (hip) than it is to use the correct size for those and then adjust the waist - so this is opposite to what a normal dressmaking pattern will tell you.
The components I used for this project are all listed with links here:
- Victoria corset pattern - this is a mid bust pattern with very simple single layer construction instructions and includes a bit about how to alter the corset into a full overbust.
- Gold plated busk fastner - 13"
- A boning set for the Victoria corset - this includes 4 flat steel corset bones and 8 spiral steel bones in various sizes
- Half a metre of ivory/gold rosebud corsetry coutil - you will need a whole metre for sizes above '14' (about a UK size 12).
- White 20mm plush elastic for the suspenders / garters
- 20mm suspender / garter clips
- 20mm adjustable sliders
- 20mm 'Scrolls' tulle lace trim for the bottom line
- 16mm cotton bias binding for the upper and lower edges of the corset
- 15mm double satin ribbon for the bow detail at the top (optional - does not alter the fit of the corset)
- 2 x 4mm Gold eyelets for the ribbon tie (optional)
- about 40 x 5mm gold eyelets for the back closure
- 7m cotton lacing in Ecru
- 12mm Prym bias binding maker (if making your own boning channels from coutil)
- 7m x 15mm cotton herringbone tape for boning channels if not making your own.
Add a comment: